Saturday, May 2, 2009

My IEP-2008-2009-Yearbook with Thorne Bay Logging history

Reflection on the IEP Process and What I Learned
In January, it occurred to my principal that our school hasn't had a yearbook in several years.  As I am teaching the high school technology course, she asked if we could fit it into the course during the last semester. "Sure," I said, not having any idea of what I was getting into. As part of their preparation, the students reviewed the work of commercial yearbook publishing companies and thought they could do better. They wanted their year/generation to be layered on pictures of the history of logging that established Thorne Bay.  So all design and layout was created by the students. Only the final PDFs were sent to a local printer for publishing.

My students and I would need to become proficient in a variety of programs on our Macs to graphically design and manage the business of publishing a yearbook.  We needed to create spread sheets for invoices and accounting of advertisement sales, we crafted business letters for local donations, we edited the yearbook pages with Photoshop and Pages, finally all files were saved as pdfs and put into a layout for a 52 page yearbook printed in color.  They also did tons of fundraising to raise the 50% deposit to the printer.  

As I write this entry, I am in Ketchikan about to bring the semi-final files to the publisher and see how this comes out!  Some (low quality) sample pages the students produced for the yearbook can be seen here.   Read more of my reflection on publishing a yearbook.

Technical Skills Development and Evidence of my work in Pages.  This application has become my go to app for word processing. The first doc was quick and dirty.  This document I did for the MAT AK History class, and I like the results.

Classroom Application and Lesson Plans
The syllabus, lesson plans, handouts, and student business letter samples for my Yearbook/Technology class have been included here.

No comments: